Recipe type: Main dish
- 4 fresh medium beets
- 2 sprigs fresh basil, chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼-2/3 c flour
- Olive oil
- Burger buns
- Mozzarella slices
- Trim beet tops and root. Shred beets in food processor; transfer to bowl. Add basil, onions, eggs, salt and pepper; mix.
- Mix in just enough flour to make mixture stick together.
- Form mixture into 4-inch patties about ½-inch thick. (Don’t make too thick or centers won’t cook well.)
- Heat ¼ inch of olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Fry patties 2-3 minutes on one side, until crispy. Turn, place mozzarella slice on top and fry 2-3 minutes more, until crispy.
- Place hot on bun; serve immediately.