Recipe type: Main Dish
- 3 medium eggplants, skin on, cut into chunks
- 1 c olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- Black pepper
- 1 c fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Place eggplant in foil-lined roasting pan. Toss with ½ c olive oil, salt, and garlic.
- Bake 35 minutes at 400 degrees, or until eggplant is soft but not mushy. Cool 5 minutes on pan; transfer to large bowl.
- Heat remaining olive oil in large skillet; add onions and cook, covered, over low heat until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add onions to eggplant. Season generously with pepper.
- Add basil and lemon juice; toss. Serve at room temperature.